360H DuPont Hall
Newark, Delaware 19716
PhD | 2007 | Civil (Structural) Engineering. Georgia Institute of Technology
MS | 2002 | Civil Engineering, University of Delaware
BS | 2000 | Civil Engineering, University of Delaware
Bridge and earthquake engineering; structural dynamics; large-scale experimental testing; analytical modeling and simulation; finite element analysis; performance-based design of concrete structures; and structural applications of composite materials
- Bridges for the Future
Head, M. and *Pirayeh Gar, S. (2012). Part II: Metaheuristic Applications in Bridge Infrastructure Maintenance Scheduling Consideration. Metaheuristics in Water, Geotechnical, and Transportation Engineering, in collaboration with Dr. Manoj Jha, Morgan State University.
Selected Publications *= denotes grad/student co-author; **= postdoctoral researcher
- *Efe, Steve, **Shokouhian, M., Head, M., and *Chinaka, E. (2017). “Numerical Study on the Cyclic Response of AFRP Reinforced Column with Externally Unbonded Energy Dissipaters,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 14(2), 2018: 218-231.
- *Chinaka, E., Head, M., **Shokouhian, M., *McLennan, W. and *Efe, S. (2017). “An experimental investigation of bond strength of AFRP bars with self-consolidating concrete,” Construction and Building Materials (submitted; under review).
- **Shokouhian, M., Shi, Y., Head, M. (2016). “Interactive Buckling Failure Modes of Hybrid Steel Flexural Members,” Elsevier, Engineering Structures, 125:153-166, https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/engineering-structures/vol/125.
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Mander, J., Head, M., and Hurlebaus, S. (2014). “FRP Slab Capacity Using Yield Line Theory,” J. Compos. Constr., 18(6).
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Head, M., Hurlebaus, S., and Mander, J. (2014). “Experimental Performance of AFRP Concrete Bridge Deck Slab with Full-Depth Precast Prestressed Panels,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 19(4), http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000559.
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Head, M., and Hurlebaus, S. (2013). “Computational Modeling of the Flexural Performance of an AFRP Prestressed Girder with a Composite Bridge Deck,” ACI Structural Journal, 110(6), http://www.concrete.org/PUBS/JOURNALS/SJHOME.ASP.
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Head, M., Hurlebaus, S., and Mander, J. (2013). “Comparative Experimental Performance of Bridge Deck Slabs,” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, 17(6), http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000380.
- *Bisadi, V., Gardoni, P., and Head, M. (2013). “Decision Analysis for Elevating Bridge Decks with Steel Pedestals,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 10(8), 1059-1067, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15732479.2013.788523#.Ui5FHNLkvNo.
- *Bisadi, V., Gardoni, P., and Head, M. (2013). “Probabilistic Demand Models and Fragility Estimates for Bridges Elevated with Steel Pedestals,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 139(9): 1515-1528, September 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000741.
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Head, M., and Hurlebaus, S. (2012). “Tension Stiffening in Prestressed Concrete Beams Using Moment-Curvature Relationship,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering (Technical Note), 138(8): 1075-1078, August 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000534.
- *Bisadi, V., Head, M., and Cline, D. (2011). “Seismic Effects of Elevating Bridges with Steel Pedestals in the Southeastern United States,” Engineering Structures, 33(12): 3279-3289, December 2011, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0141029611003415.
- *Bisadi, V. and Head, M. (2011). “Evaluation of Combination Rules for Orthogonal Seismic Demands in Nonlinear Time History Analysis of Bridges,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Special Issue: AASHTO-LRFD Bridge Design and Guide Specifications: Recent, Ongoing, and Future Refinements, 16(6): 711-717, March 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000241.