360C DuPont Hall
Newark, Delaware 19716
1987 | Ph.D. | University of Virginia
1985 | Masters | University of Virginia
1983 | Masters | University of Washington
1981 | Bachelor | University of Washington
As the current director of the Delaware Mid-Atlantic Transportation Sustainability University Center, and former director of the Delaware Center for Transportation Research (DCT-2000-2016) and professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Delaware since 1990, Ardeshir Faghri has been involved with teaching, mentoring, research, and administration. His areas of expertise include transportation systems engineering, global positioning and geographical information systems, soft computing, and applied probability theory. He received his Bachelor of Science from the University of Washington in 1981 and continued there receiving a Master of Science in civil engineering in 1983. In 1985, he received a second Master of Science from the University of Virginia in civil engineering/transportation. Two years later, he concluded his graduate studies and was awarded a doctorate in civil engineering/transportation from the University of Virginia. Since completing graduate work his professional experience has included positions in the government and private sectors, as well as in academia. He has led numerous multi-modal transportation planning, design, operations, control, and maintenance projects nationally and internationally. In the U.S., he has garnered more than $25 million as principal or co-principal investigator from such sources as the NSF, FHWA, FTA, DelDOT, PennDOT and NJDOT. Internationally, he has conducted projects for the United Nations Development Programme, has served as a member of the European Symposium on Artificial Intelligence Applications in Transportation, has organized International Symposiums on Uncertainty Modeling and Analysis, and has twice guest edited the International Journal of Computer-Aided Civil & Infrastructure Engineering. Over the course of his professional career, he has been honored with awards from the United States Department of Transportation, NASA, the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), and the University of Delaware among others. In addition, Dr. Faghri has obtained a Civil Engineering project patent as sole inventor, authored more than 100-refereed journal publications and 12 book chapters. Dr. Faghri is an ASCE Fellow and has continuously served the ASCE since 1976. He takes great pride in his current role as a mentor to undergraduates, and advisor to graduate students pursuing a master’s degree or doctorate. Since he began as an Assistant Professor at the University of Delaware, he has advised over 60 graduate students and gone on to see them thrive in academic, government and private sector positions all over the world. Dr. Faghri has won both the Campus-wide as well as the College of Engineering Best Teacher awards at the University of Delaware.
- Infrastructure Systems
- Taromi Reza and Ardeshir Faghri, Using Available Land and Transport Data for Future Land-Use Planning, Washington, D.C., Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, #308, 2018.
- Mohammadi-Ziazi Rezvan and Ardeshir Faghri, the Impact of Sea Level Rise on Non-Motorized Transport, Washington, D.C., Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, #508, 2018.
- Li Ming and Ardeshir Faghri, A Novel Nanostructured Fertilizer for Sustainable Roadside Landscapes, Washington, D.C., Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, #647, 2018.
- Li Ming and Ardeshir Faghri, A Framework for Analyzing the Economic Feasibility of Cycling Facilities, Bicycle Urbanism, Routledge Publishing, 2018.
- Shahpar Amir, Ardeshir Faghri and Ming Li, Emission and Life Cycle Assessment of Alternative Fuel Buses as Related to DART, International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, 2017.
- Li Ming, Ardeshir Faghri, Kadir Ozden and Yi Yue, Economic Feasibility of Pavement Monitoring Using Synthetic Aperture Radar Satellite Remote Sensing, Washington, D.C., Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, #2645, 2017.
- Vaughan Michael, Ardeshir Faghri and Ming Li, Knowledge-Based Decision Making Model for the Management of Transit System Alternative Fuel Infrastructures, International Journal of sustainable Development and World Ecology, 2017.
- Wahed Mir, Ardeshir Faghri and Ming Li, An Innovative Simulation Model for the Operations of a Multipurpose Seaport, International Journal of Simulation and Process Modeling, 2017.
- Vaughan Michael, Ardeshir Faghri and Ming Li, An Interactive Expert System Based Decision Making Model for the Management of Transit System Alternative Fuel Vehicle Assets, Journal of Intelligent Information Management, 2017.
View Full CV