Chin-Pao (C.P.) HuangPh.D, Harvard University
Donald C. Philips Professor
|Office:||352A DuPont Hall|
Short BioResearch Interests:
Industrial wastewater management; aquatic chemistry;soil and groundwater remediation; environmental nanomaterials and processes; catalytic electrochemcial processes
Education1971: Ph.D, Harvard University
1967: Master, Harvard University
1965: Bachelor, National Taiwan University
Honors and AwardsFrancis Alison Award: University of Delaware, 2009
Graduate Advising and Mentoring Award: University of Delaware, 2008
Wesley H. Horner Award: American Society of Civil Engineers, 2008
Best Theoretical Paper Award: Water and Environmental Resources Congress. American Society of Civil Engineers, 2005
Gordon Maskew Fair Medal: Water Environment Federation, 1999
Gold Medal in Research Achievements: Chinese Society of Environmental Engineering, 1996
Best Paper Award: Chinese Society of Environmental Engineering, 1994
Author: Citation Classics, 1994
Nominated for Excellence-in-Teaching Award: University of Delaware, 1977
1. Li, M. H. and C. P. Huang (2010). Hazardous waste treatment technologies. Water Environment Research, 82(10):1720-1747.
2. Mahmudov R. and C. P. Huang (2010). Perchlorate removal by activated carbon adsorption. Separation and Purification Technology, 70(3):329-337.(16)
3. Lin, H., A.K. Rumaiz, M. Schulz, C. P. Huang, and S. Ismat Shah (2010). Hydrogen generation under visible light using nitrogen doped titania anodes. J. Applied Physics, 107, 124305. (4)
4. Weng, Y. H., H. J. Wei, T. Y. Tsai, T. H. Lin, T. Y., Wei, G. L. Guo, G.L. and C. P. Huang (2010). Separation of furans and carboxylic acids from sugars in diluted acid rice straw hydrolyzates by nanofiltration. Bioresource Technology, 101(13):4889-4894.(16)
5. Chiang, P. C., E.E. Chang, and C.P. Huang (2010). Evaluating and elucidating the formation of nitrogen-contained disinfection by-products during pre-ozonation and chlorination. Chemosphere, 80 (3): 327-333. (5)
6. Chang, E. E., H. C. Guo, I. S., Li, P. C. Chiang, and C. P. Huang (2010). Modeling the formation and assessing the risk of disinfection by-products in water distribution systems. J. Environmental Science and Health, Part A-Toxic/Hazardous Substances&Environmental Engineering, 45(10): 1185-1194.
7. Doong, R. A., T. C. Hsieh, and C. P. Huang (2010). Photoassisted reduction of metal ions and organic dye by titanium dioxide nanoparticles in aqueous solution under anoxic conditions. The Science of the Total Environment, 408: 3334-3341. (7)
8. Minghua Li, and C.P. Huang (2010). Stability of oxidized single-walled carbon nanotubes in the presence of simple electrolytes and humic acid. Carbon, 48: 4527- 4534 (16)
9. Zhou, B., X. Zhao, H. J. Liu, J. H. Qu, and C.P. Huang (2010). Visible-light sensitive cobalt-doped BiVO4 (Co-BiVO4) photocatalytic composites for the degradation of methylene blue dye in dilute aqueous solutions. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 99: 214–221.(28)
10. Mahmudov, Rovshan and C. P. Huang (2010). Perchlorate removal by activated carbon adsorption, Separation and Purification Technology 70, 329 - 337.
11. Mahmudov, Rovshan and C. P. Huang (2011). Selective adsorption of oxyanions on activated carbon exemplified by Filtrasorb 400 (F400), Separation and Purification Technology 77, 294-300.(5)
12. Li, Minghua and C.P. Huang (2011). The responses of Ceriodaphnia dubia toward multi-walled
carbon nanotubes: Effect of physical–chemical treatment, Carbon 49:1672-1679.(2)
13. Zhou, Bin, X. Zhao, HuijuanLiu, Jiuhui Qu, and C. P. Huang (2011). Synthesis ofvisible-lightsensitiveM–BiVO4 (M=Ag,Co,andNi)forthe photocatalytic degradationoforganicpollutants, Separation and PurificationTechnology, 77: 275–282.(8)
14. Li, Minghua, Kirk J. Czymmek, and C.P. Huang (2011). Responses of Ceriodaphnia dubia to TiO2 and Al2O3 nanoparticles: A dynamic nano-toxicity assessment of energy budget distribution, Journal of Hazardous Materials 187: 502–508.(9)
15. Metzler, David M., Minghua Li, Ayca Erdem, and C.P. Huang (2011). Responses of algae to photocatalytic nano-TiO2 particles with an emphasis on the effect of particle size. Chemical Engineering Journal, 170 ( 2-3): 538-546.(7)
16. Li, Minghua, R. Mahmudov and C. P. Huang (2011). Hazardous Waste Treatment Technologies. Water Environment Research, 83(10): 1598-1632.
17. Chang, E. E., S Y. Yang, C. P. Huang, C. H. Liang, and P.C. Chiang (2011). Assessing the fouling mechanisms of high-pressure nanofiltration membrane using the modified Hermia model and the resistance-in-series model. Separation and purification Technology, 79(3): 329-336.
18. Huang, C. P. and Chieh-shen Chu, (2012). Indirect Electrochemical Oxidation of Chlorophenols in Dilute Aqueous Solutions. J. Environmental Engineering-ASCE. 138(3): 375-385.
19. Chang E. E., Liang Chung-Huei, Huang Chin-Pao, P. C. Chiang (2012). A simplified method for elucidating the effect of size exclusion on nanofiltration. Separation and Purification Technology, 85: 1-7.
20. Huang C. P. and Herschel A. Elliott (2012). Technology for sustainable water environment Preface. Separation ad Pufification Technology, 84(SI): 1-2.(Preface)
21. Yen-Ping Peng, Emre Yassitepe, Yun-Ta Yeh, Inci Ruzybayev, S. Ismat Shah, and C. P. Huang (2012). Photoelectrochemical degradation of azo dye over pulsed laser deposited nitrogen-doped TiO2 thin film. Applied Catalysis, B: Environment, 125, 465-472.
22. Yen-Ping Peng, Yun-Ta Yeh, S. Ismat Shah, and C. P. Huang (2012). Concurrent photoelectrochemical reduction of CO2 and oxidation of methyl orange using nitrogen-doped TiO2 thin film. Applied Catalysis, B. Environment, 123, 414-423.
23. Weng Y. H, Wang, Y. C., Tsai, Y. T.,Chuang, C. J., Huang, C. P. and Li, K. C. Effect of hydrophobicity of humic substances on electro-ultrafiltration. Desalination 284, 128-134.
24. Chang, Ming-Chin, Huang, C. P., Shu, H.Y., Chang, Y.C. (2012). A new photocatalytic system using steel mesh and cold cathode fluorescent light (CCFL) for the decolorization of azo dye Orange G. International Journal of Photoenergy, DOI: 10.1155/2012/303961
25. Chang, E.E., Liu, T. Y., Huang, C. P. and Chiang, P.C. (2012) Degradation of mefenamic acid from aqueous solutions by the ozonatin and O3-UV process. Separation and Purification Technology, 98, 123-129.
26. Chang, E. E., Chang, Y. C., Liang, C. H., Huang, C. P. and Chiang, P.C. (2012) Identifying the rejectin mechanism for nanofitraton membrane fouled by humic acid and calcium ions exemplified by acetaminophen, sulfamethoxazole and triclosan. J. Hazardous Materials, 221, 19-27.
27. Metzler, David M. Erdem, Ayca, Tseng, Y. H. and Huang, C. P. (2012). Responses of algal cells to engineered nanoparticles measured as algal cell population, chlorophyll a, and lipid peroxidation: Effect of particle size and type. Journal of Nanotechnology. Vol. 2012, ID 237284, 12 pp.
28. Li, Yangang, Hsieh, Wen-Pin, Mahmudov, Rovshan, Wei, Xiaomei, and Huang, C.P. (2012). Combined ultrasound and Fenton (US-Fenton) process for the treatment of ammunition wastewater. J. Hazardous Materials,244-245, 403-411.
30. Li, M. H. Hsieh, T. C. Hsieh Doong, R. A. and Huang, C. P. (2013). Tuning the adsorption capability of multi-walled carbon nanotubes to polar and non-polar organic compounds by surface oxidation. Separation and Purification Technology, 117: 98-103.
31. Peng, Y.P. Yeh, Y. T. Yeh, Wang, P. Y. and Huang, C. P. (2013), A solar cell driven electrochemical process for the concurrent reduction of carbon dioxide and degradation of azo dye in dilute KHCO3 electrolyte (2013) Separation and Purification Technology, 117: 3-11.
32. Lee, Yu-Chi, Lo, Shang-Lien, Kuo, Jeff and Huang, Chin-Pao (2013), Promoted degradation of perfluorooctanic acid by persulfate when adding activated carbon. J. Hazardous Material, 261, 463-469.
33. Mahmudov, Rovshan; Li, Minghua; Huang, C.P. Water Environment Research, 2013 Literature Review, pp. 1614-1643(30).
34. Fang, R. M., Huang, Y. C., Gousek, M., Huang, C.P. and Sherrier, J. (2014), Responses of rhizobia systems to nano-TiO2.Science of Total Environment, 466–467: 503–51
35. Huang, Y. C., Fang, R. M., Gousek, M.,Sherrier, J., Huang, C.P. (2014). Impacts of nnao-Zno on the rhizobia systems. Science of Total Environment 497-498: 78-90 (2014).
36. Po-Yen Wang, Ismat Shah, and C. P. Huang. Preparation and characterization of functionalized poly(vinyl chloride) membranes for selective separation of perchlorate from water. J. Membrane Science, Journal of Membrane Science 476(2015)561–570
37. Erdem, Ayca, Metzler, David, Cha, Daniel K., and Huang, C. P. Inactivation of bacteria by nano-TiO2 in the absence of light exemplified by E. coli and B. subtilis. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. DOI 10.1007/s13762-014-0729-2
38. Mahmudov, Rovshan; Li, Minghua; Huang, C.P. Water Environment Research, 2014 Volume 85, Number 10, October 2013, pp. 1646-1677(32)
39. Gong Zhang, Meng Sun, Yang Liu, Huijuan Liu, C P Huang, Jiuhui Qu, Jinghong Li, (2015), Formation of Bi2WO6 Bipyramids with Vacancy Pairs for Enhanced Solar-Driven Photoactivity. Advanced Functional Materials. DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201501009.
40. Mingyu Lin, Yao Hsiang Tseng, Huang, (2015), Interactions betweenNano-TiO2 particles and algal cells at moderate particle concentration. Frontiers of Chemical Sciences and Engineering (in press)
41. Rovshan Mahmudov, Ching-lung Chen, and C. P. Huang, (2015), Functionalized activated carbon for the adsorptive removal of perchlorate from water solutions. Frontiers of Chemical Engineering and Science (in press)
42. Jenn Fang Su, Inci Ruzybayev, Ismat Shah, C. P. Huang, The electrochemical reduction of nitrate over micro-architectured metal electrodes with stainless steel scaffold. Applied Catalysis, B: Environment (in press)
43. Yu-Jen Shih, Chia-Chi Su, Ming-Chun Lu, C. P. Huang, The electrodeless preparation of M (M = Pt, Pd, Ru, Cu) Ni-Co oxide/graphite electrodes for the electrochemical inactivation of E. coli. Applied Catalysis. B: Environment (submitted)
44. Yu-Jen Shih, Chia-Chi Su, C. P. Huang, The synthesis, characterization, and application of a platinum modified graphite electrode (Pt/G) exemplified by chloride oxidation, Separation and Purification (submitted)
45. Mahmudov, Rovshan; Li, Minghua; Huang, C.P. Water Environment Research, (submitted)
46. Deming Deng, Lin Deng, Zhongmai Huang, C. P. Huang.. Solar photocatalytic degradation of dye in waste water by Rectorite-TiO2. Environmental Science and Technology (submitted).
47. Shengli Zhang, Lichun Tao, Man Jiang, C.P. Huang, Guangjun Gou, Zuowan Zhou. The preparation of a magnetic activated carbon from peanut shell coactivated by K2CO3 and Fe3O4. Catalysis Today (submitted).
48. Erdem, Ayca, Metzler, David, Cha, Daniel K. and Huang, C. P. The toxic effects of nano-TiO2 particles on bacteria with respect to viability, cellular respiration, and lipid peroxidation. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. (in review).
49. Yang, Ai-li, Yang Peng, Jiang Ling, Deng Heng-feng, Zhang Hao, C. P. Huang. Flocculation performance of polyacrylamide (PAA) in the presence of MgCl2 on the treatment low radioactive uranium wastewater. Water Science Technology (in review).