Prospective Undergraduate Students

Introduction | Prospective undergraduates | Unique educational programs
Student services | Student organizations | Important deadlines | How do I…?


Throughout the year there are multiple organized opportunities to visit campus and learn more about the University and the CEE Department. Discovery Days include information sessions and campus tours for prospective students and their families, scheduled for a few days in the summer. Blue & Gold Saturdays are our fall open houses for prospective students and their families. In the spring, admitted students and their families are invited to Delaware Decision Days. Prospective students should also feel free to contact the Department directly to ask questions or arrange for an individual visit anytime. For more information, see Visit Campus.

Ambassadors for Civil and Environmental Students (ACES)


To apply for admission, follow the general guidelines for admission to the University of Delaware. For more information, see University Admissions office.


For general information about how to get financial aid while a student in the Department, see the University Financial Aid office. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers a few scholarships just for its students as well. Delaware residents may be eligible for an Edward C. Davis Tuition Scholarship, which covers tuition expenses for up to four years. For more information see Edward C. Davis Tuition Scholarship. Non-residents may be eligible for the Robertson-Selinkoff Scholarship. Students are automatically considered for these when they apply to the major.


Students wishing to transfer into civil or environmental engineering from another university may wish to consult with the Department Chair or the Assistant Dean of the college before they start the application process.


Will my Advanced Placement (AP) credit count?
Students will almost always be granted credit through the Advanced Placement Program for scores of 4 or 5, and in most cases for scores of 3. Students should have their test results sent to the Admissions Office for evaluation. See AP, IB and College Credit.

How large are your classes?
You will encounter your largest classes during the first few semesters. For example, the freshman introductory courses for Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering typically have enrollments of about 70 and 25 students, respectively. The enrollment in our senior-level courses averages about 20 students. This does not include independent study, in which you work one-on-one with a professor.

Who teaches the courses?
All of our professors teach courses, and all courses are taught by faculty or, for a few upper-level courses, qualified engineering professionals. For example, our senior design courses are conducted by licensed Professional Engineers in conjunction with department faculty. Graduate students serve as teaching assistants (TAs) for some courses and are responsible for such tasks as setting up laboratory exercises, grading homework assignments, and conducting review sessions before exams.

Is it difficult to change your major once you have started in one area of engineering?
There is a common semester for all engineering programs. After the first semester, students may have to take additional classes. Advisors can help plan a revised program of study.

How do I get into the Honors Program?
The application for the University Honors Program is included in Delaware’s application and on Delaware’s supplement to The Common Application. To be considered for admission, students must complete the Honors application and required essay. For more information, see University Honors Program.

How do I minor in another subject?
The requirements for minors are laid out in the University Catalog listed under the discipline you are interested in minoring in. Many students majoring in Civil Engineering minor in Environmental Engineering and vice versa. For more information see the Undergraduate Catalog.

Bookmark and Share